Friday 8 May 2009

Vintage Undies

My last shoot was a Vintage Undies story with a fabulous new face at Oxygen models, Pippa, and my partner in crime, photographer Claire Pepper. The pursuit of perfect vintage lingerie and vintage inspired pieces has led to the discovery of a number of fashion secrets.

But firstly, who could resist popping into What Katie Did, especially after all their press recently? (A full 5 page spread in the Sunday Times Style, Amanda Holden on the cover of Weekend Magazine, and even gracing the pages of Vogue). The store, tucked away in Portobello Green, is filled with beautiful yet reasonably priced pieces and is a great way to ease you into vintage styles. I shot the Harlow bullet bra and knickers for my story, but kept the bra unpadded, soft and feminine rather than pin up and sexy. The end results are gorgeous.



Also, check out The Girl Can’t Help it at Alfie’s Antiques Market in Marylebone. This is probably one of the best vintage shops in London, but that is definitely reflected in the prices. I fell in love with a £190 bodice with suspenders, (what these things can do for your figure), but made do with a 1940s prom dress which I customised into the most beautiful little satin bodice with netting skirt.


Maybe not so much of a secret was my next stop: Larizia on St John’s Wood High Street. Jackie, the manager, has a real eye, and one can spend hours drooling over YSL, Prada, Alexander McQueen, Miu Miu…I shot the bronze Gucci and the cream Balenciaga for this story.

La Magia, www.lamagia.com, is a real find, an online boutique selling a wide range of vintage inspired pieces, like the Little Minx ivory set (picture below) and Van Doren retro suspender belt, both of which I shot. And Vintage Vanity, www.vintagevanity.com is amazing for original one off vintage pieces – sizing can be an issue, but keep checking the site and you’ll definitely find something unique and exciting.


I also called in some retro inspired swim-hats from Saratoga Fine Lingerie – my personal favourite lingerie shop. It’s in Oxford, but Ann, the owner, is so helpful that if you can’t make it that far she’s always happy to help. www.saratogafinelingerie.co.uk

See my website, www.ellapearceheath.com to see the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment