Friday 8 May 2009

Knowing Your Fashion Identity

Tomorrow my amazing photographer, Claire Pepper, and I are off to the country to recce a possible shoot location which we’re both very excited about. Think Cotswold stone, apple orchards, barns piled high with amazing treasures and the beautiful English countryside! I’m sure I’ll have some lovely pictures to put up soon, so more on that next week.

But my next shoot is with another super photographer Martin Dagucci. We’re looking into the concept of identity, and the transformational process of ‘fashion self discovery’, which, at least in this case, ends in the realisation you actually look like everyone else. But it’s started me thinking can one successfully, uniquely represent oneself through fashion without being boxed, grouped or influenced by something, something which you may have never even known was there?

A recent interview with Pop magazine Hannah Murray, (Cassie in Skins) comments:
Those specs are very on trend.

‘Oh I don’t know anything about on trend. Someone did tell me they were a little bit “Kurt Cobain meets Marc Jacobs”. I pretended to know what they were talking about.’
Style bubble comments:
‘It’s clear she (Hannah Murray) has a very set idea of her own style, yet from this quote it seems she has an un-awareness of fashion as we know it…She’s drawn to sheer tulle things, dropped waisted sequined flapper dresses, excessive plastic accessories and vintage sailor tops…However, by wearing her dropped waisted sequined flapper dress she’s not trying to make a reference/allusion to this season’s John Galliano because she is unaware. She simply likes what she likes…At the end of the day, it is fundamentally about making ourselves happy with clothes and being drawn to garments in an explicable way.’
Hannah, of course, did not declare a desire to be unique, but with reference to this particular pontification, without fashion or trend knowledge, she has still managed to buy into high end fashion trends, set out for her by designers and fashion magazines she has no interest in.

Well anyway, I will keep you posted on the shoot, and any possible self-discovery I may find!

No comments:

Post a Comment